Saturday, December 24, 2011

Mozart was his music Christ


I wish you a merry Christmas. Let me invite your attention to a diary noting on 20 September/2 October 1886 by Tchaikovsky, one of the greatest music western composers of all time. He was analyzing his reason to love Mozart than he loved Beethoven. He called Mozart, the music Christ…angelical with the child-like purity in his music whereas in Beethoven, Tchaikovsky found an amazing God, the creator, whom he even scared.

Here is his noting:

"I bow before the greatness of some of his works, but I do not love Beethoven. My attitude towards him reminds me of how I felt as a child with regard to God, Lord of Sabaoth. I felt (and even now my feelings have not changed) a sense of amazement before Him, but at the same time also fear. He created heaven and earth, just as He created me, but still, even though I cringe before Him, there is no love. Christ, on the contrary, awakens precisely and exclusively feelings of love. Yes, He was God, but at the same time a man. He suffered like us. We are sorry for Him, we love in Him His ideal human side. And if Beethoven occupies in my heart a place analogous to God, Lord of Sabaoth, then Mozart I love as a musical Christ. Besides, he lived almost like Christ did. I think there is nothing sacrilegious in such a comparison. Mozart was a being so angelical and child-like in his purity, his music is so full of unattainably divine beauty, that if there is someone whom one can mention with the same breath as Christ, then it is he. […] It is my profound conviction that Mozart is the highest, the culminating point which beauty has reached in the sphere of music. Nobody has made me cry and thrill with joy, sensing my proximity to something that we call the ideal, in the way that he has […] In Mozart I love everything because we love everything in a person whom we truly love. Above all I love Don Giovanni, as it was thanks to this work that I found out what music is. Until then (till the age of 17) I had known nothing apart from pleasant Italian semi-music. Of course, whilst I do love everything in Mozart, I won't claim that every minor work of his is a masterpiece. No! I know that any one of his sonatas, for example, is not a great work, and yet I love every sonata of his precisely because it is his – because this musical Christ touched it with his radiant hand"

Please listen to the famous composition Requiem by Mozart presented by Karl Bohm, who is considered to be one of the greatest symphonic conductors of 20th century

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqkMbk8eX6Y

No comments:

Post a Comment