Saturday, November 26, 2011

A rare Jugalbandi and one 1834 thought:

Painting: Boatmen by Jamini Ray

This morning I was listening to a Jugalbandi. This time it is not only two artistes, but two ragas too. Ashwnini Bhide is singing Rag Lalit and Sanjeev Abhayankar, Rag Puria Dhanashree on one stage. Both of them are singing same swaras but in different scales and expressing the souls of both ragas. Let me quote a short paragraph from William Jones/ Augustus Willard’s celebrated treatise “Music of India”, first published in 1834:

“The melody of the East has always been admired, and I believe very justly. The Europeans, however, are at present so much accustomed to harmony, that to their ear this melody will sound less attracting than it would otherwise have been. Indeed, so wide is the difference between the natures of European and Indian music that I conceive a great many of the latter would baffle the attempts of the most expert contrapuntist to set a harmony to them, by the existing rules of that science” (Page:35)

Let me place first the drut part and later the vilambit laya part for a change (I give part 2 first and then part 1. Forgive me, if I have committed something wrong.

  1. Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=7rszGSATskw
  2. Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUpTvND3ff8

No comments:

Post a Comment